Dadgum, (ok I really want to say something stronger, but….).
Here we are with so many injured and chronically ill doggies and one we took in as "safe" now needs surgery QUICKLY.
We’re in such a world of hurt. We’ve already delayed Darden’s FHOs and Chalupa’s jaw surgery, but absolutely had to do Claude Galvez’s ear ablation and really need to do Mae’s surgery this week, and now this…..
You just will not believe this story.
This cute little girl, we’re calling Baylee.
We received a plea in June to take this girl in. The story goes that she had sustained a back injury in April, and the owners wanted her euthanized. They had not been successful keeping her restrained and by May, she had become entirely paralyzed. Their veterinary clinic did an exam in May and determined that she had some deep pain response at that time. An employee of the clinic took her in.
This veterinary employee supposedly took her to physical therapy, accupuncture and did water therapy with her so that she was walking and "fine." In fact, the vet wrote us a letter on July 6 that the dog was walking and "fine." There was a comment that she might need surgery IN THE FUTURE if another injury occurred.
Well, our volunteer went to pick the dog up, she was handed Baylee wrapped in a towel. The veterinary employee gave her a few bottles of meds and left.
When our volunteer, Pat, got home with Baylee, she discovered, to her horror, that Baylee absolutely could not walk and was incontinent!!! Pat cried all night. She knew that we were in a world of hurt with all of our other doggies, but how could we not help this sweet little thrown away dog??
We scheduled an emergency consult with a surgeon and what he had to say was alarming.
Evidently, Baylee had been DOWN (paralyzed) for two-three months. She has very little deep pain response and has no idea how to make her legs work. She does, at times, what is called "spinal walking" which means somehow she uses her back muscles to sling her legs forward, but this is NOT considered normal walking.
Had her surgery been done right after the injury, she probably would have been fine. Now, at this late date, it is unlikely that she will regain complete function of her legs, but MIGHT be able to at least walk. And become continent again. Right now, she is completely incontinent. That makes her unadoptable.
Now, I have to be honest with you, the vet said we need to do the surgery ASAP and even kept her at the clinic so that his professional people could handle her. And, then he’s only giving her a 50/50 chance at walking again.
While talking to him, I told him we were up to our necks in expensive surgery and HELLO, the economy stinks right now. I told him we just did one expensive surgery (CLAUDE) and still needed to raise 50% of his fee AND we desperately need to do Mae’s surgery before her kidneys die. He took pity on us and said he would like to help the little girl out so would give us a 50% discount on the surgery. I just about fell over. Normally, these surgeries are $6000 or even more. He will do it for $2800 plus the initial exam and x-rays, which were $380.
But, he wants to do the surgery asap, now, immediately, as in TOMORROW!!
Do we want to help this baby? He can schedule the surgery for tomorrow afternoon.
If you can donate to little Baylee, please CLICK HERE FOR A PAYPAL DONATION.
And, if you can help with the remaining $1200 for CLAUDE, CLICK HERE FOR CLAUDE.
For either dog, GO HERE TO PLEDGE TO SEND A CHECK or HERE TO DOWNLOAD THE CREDIT CARD AUTHORIZATION FORM.